For the first time in many years, I’m living in a city, Charlotte, North Carolina. City life brings with it a lot of things: restaurants, wine bars, museums, performing arts, professional sports …
… And Trader Joe’s. Yes, in addition to the Symphony and the I-don’t-really-care-but-apparently-a-lot-of-other-people-do NASCAR museum, Charlotte has brought Trader Joe’s to my life. For years, living in Blacksburg, VA, I’d hear people tell of the glories of the far-off, magical Trader Joe’s, but there wasn’t one within three hours of my humble little town. Now, I have one two miles up the road, if that.
Tonight, I visited, and I can say firsthand it’s everything people made it out to be. I bought a considerable amount of groceries (including three bottles of wine) for under $35. The best find so far is the Trader Joe’s Corn and Chile Tomato-less Salsa. I put a little on my ground turkey tacos this evening and tasted heaven. For those with a Joe’s nearby, try this:
1) Brown some ground turkey breast. (Actually, it will just turn white.) At 99-percent fat free, it’s better for you than ground beef, and once you throw in some fresh ground cumin, pepper, and salt to taste, you won’t miss the beef. Soooo …
2) Throw in some fresh ground cumin, pepper, and salt to taste so that you won’t miss the beef.
3) Add 2/3 cup of water while browning (whiting?) your ground turkey breast so that it doesn’t get too dry.
4) Fill a whole wheat flour soft taco shell with your turkey breast, some chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
5) Top with a couple tablespoons of Trader Joe’s Corn and Chile Tomato-less Salsa.
6) Experience bliss.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think.